Jeff’s value as a trusted insider is as much sought by clients as by sources on the Hill. A skilled political professional, Jeff’s experience in public policy, strategic communications and legislative strategy helps clients build a sophisticated advocacy strategy that yields results.
David Pearce – VP & Director of Tax Policy, APCIA
Successful lobbying requires a detailed understanding of the issues, good judgment, creativity, the trust of policymakers, and the ability to communicate strategically. Being effective in my view is about being a straight shooter, being prepared, knowing your audience and understanding the process, and this describes Jeff to a tee.
At a Glance
- Chief of Staff, Congressman Adrian Smith (R-NE)
- Washington Representative, General Mills, Inc.
Areas of Expertise
- GOP Politics and Strategy
- Congressional Operations and Management
- Agriculture Trade
- Taxes and the Economy
- Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (H.R. 1)
- Trade Promotion Authority & Free Trade Agreements
- Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act
- Telecommunications Consumer Protection Act
- Farm Bills
- Food Safety and Labeling within Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act
- Toxic Substances Control Act
Membership & Lectures
- Adjunct Professor, The George Washington University Graduate School of Political Management
- Guest Lecturer, Georgetown University
- Presenter, The Veterans Campaign, Congressional Management Foundation, The Leadership Institute
- Former Board Member, House Chiefs of Staff Association
- BA, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Jeff Shapiro joined Peck Madigan Jones following a lengthy tenure as Chief of Staff to Rep. Adrian Smith (R-NE), a senior member of the House Ways and Means Committee and currently the senior Republican on the Select Revenue Measures subcommittee. Jeff brings more than two decades of political and public policy experience to the firm, having previously worked on and run campaigns at the local and federal level as well as served on Capitol Hill for a former subcommittee chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. In addition to his experience in public policy, strategic communications, legislative strategy, and relationship building, Jeff helps lead TiberCom, a full service new media and public affairs strategy integration firm utilizing survey methodology, messaging platforms, and advocacy tools to reach voters and influence stakeholders.
Jeff’s reputation as a skilled political professional is valued by Members and staff for Republicans and Democrats alike. During his tenure on Capitol Hill, Jeff’s command of the operational dynamics and inner workings of congressional offices was recognized by House Republican Leadership, who tasked him with transitioning into office several Members of Congress following special elections, as well as contributing to Hitting the Ground Running, a publication designed to familiarize incoming House Republican freshmen with Capitol Hill, office management, and the legislative process.
Jeff previously served as Washington Representative for General Mills, during which time he served on a number of Executive Branch advisory committees, helped guide the company’s political action committee, implemented legislative strategy, and coordinated with industry stakeholders and allied groups.
Jeff has served as an adjunct professor at The George Washington University and is a frequent lecturer for Georgetown University’s Semester in Washington Program, discussing congressional operations and legislative processes. He regularly volunteers his time and expertise to advise numerous federal, state, and local campaigns. Jeff and his family reside in Washington, DC.